Have you ever thought that a smartphone can improve your health? First of all its necessary to say that medical apps are divided into apps for doctors, for students, and for patients. There are also applications for arrangement appointments, applications for drug updates, and applications for saving your clinical records. In this article we will list apps that help people to improve or just keep their health at a decent level, so let’s dive into this.
Best Medical Apps for Doctors
This app is available on App Store and Google Play for free but has additional paid content. The app includes info like:
- Drug prescription info for brands, generic, and OTC medicines.
- Drug-drug interaction checker.
- Patient resources in English and Spanish.
- Health plan & Medicare Part D insurance formularies.
- Clinical tables and specialty guidelines.
What is also very important, the app has a feature of identifying pills.
PEPID aims to provide all healthcare workers with instant access to information that will assist them in their work. With this app the health care process becomes more effective and individualized. Its goal is to engage more doctors and improve their working conditions quality, and get better patient results.
Medscape is one of the leading online platforms for physicians and healthcare employees all over the world. The platform offers the latest medical news and expert reviews; important drug and disease information; and relevant professional education and CME.
The platform is localized for English, German, Spanish, French, and Portuguese speaking people.
The app has a Medscape Consult feature that allows doctors to share challenging patient cases, discuss clinical topics; Crowdsource medical answers from peers; Get direct access to experts from leading institutions like ColumbiaDoctors.
Medscape is available on iOS and Android.
Kareo app is only available for iOS users.
The app includes:
- Calendar for controlling schedule: add and edit appointments, multiple locations, and providers.
- Patient List for managing patients: search for existing patients or add new ones, review records, and view statistics like demographics.
- Documents to view, capture, and upload files and annotate images.
- Secure Communications for the entire office: send and receive messages to billers, patients, and employees. Reference patients and attach documents to messages.
- Full-featured EHR for iPad: clinical notes, record vitals, patient history, and immunizations. Prescribe medications, order labs, generate superbills.
Thousands of real medical cases from doctors across 185 specialty groups and institutions, including the American Cancer Society, BMJ, Doctors Without Borders, and Mount Sinai Health System. Pick up and discuss cases that a doctor may never see during practice, amplify clinical knowledge, and access to the community of millions of healthcare professionals.
Figure 1 allows people to: ◦ Share medical cases securely and efficiently. ◦ Recognize rare conditions in patients.
◦ Page specialists for real-time feedback.
Best Medical Apps for Students
MedCalX is a medical calculator for iOS. Provides students with easy access to medical formulas, scores, scales, and classifications. The app has been on mobile platforms for over 15 years, bringing medical equations to most physicians. The company tried hard to build a user-friendly interface, that supports students in critical moments.
What are the strengths that the app has? They’re mentioned below:
- A variety of formulas, scores, scales, and classifications.
- Bibliographic and other detailed information, and references for each formula.
- SI and US units support, easily switch from the keypad.
- Fully customizable list of favorite equations,
- Name, category, and keywords equations.
- Email, print, copy to clipboard to share formula results.
- Exclusive patient management features to save, access, and share results.
- English, French, German, Portuguese, Spanish, and Chinese localized.
Prognosis’s main goal is to reconsider learning over the medical sector, building up the services for humankind’s prosperity.
The app has its own list of records:
- 6,000,000+ downloads.
- 220 countries and territories are covered.
- 80,000+ active users every month.
- 1,250+ medical learning modules.
- 1,100+ medical conditions explored across 33 specialties.
- 120+ international reviewers contributing to the Prognosis’s content.
- 9 mobile and web properties for consumers.
- 5 languages localization.
- 4.7 of 5 ratings.
There are more than 8,000 medical eponyms named after the people (or places or things) who discovered diseases. Obviously, monitoring these eponyms can be an errand. The app is free for download and lets users browse and search thousands of common medical eponyms. Eponyms is an ideal app for studying especially for those who are struggling with much information.
Rated ” THE BEST DOCTORS APP ” by GSF-NDTV 2015 for USMLE preparation. Considered to be the “must-have” app for doctors and students. More than 120 institutions and medical schools shared their cases in the app.
The app is COMPLETELY free and has NO advertisements!
Daily Rounds is based on clinical cases for doctors and students. ‘Rounds’ section of the app allows you to browse and give answers to short cases. Also, a user can ask for help and post a question/case. ‘Challenges section’ is updated by a Long Case Challenge every day. The app covers most of the specialties including Cardiology, Nephrology, Pathology, Anesthesiology, Radiology, Pediatrics, Surgery.
Human Anatomy Atlas has thousands of models to help medical students understand how the human body looks and works. It shouldn’t be used as an anatomy textbook, but as a reference and virtual lab to get experience.
The app contains 10,000+ anatomical models with descriptions. Human Anatomy supports English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Simplified Chinese languages. Human Anatomy Atlas offers the most complete human anatomy atlas available, as well as a fast to learn and easy to use ad-free experience. The base app version includes complete male and female gross anatomy models that can be dissected, common muscle actions, select microanatomy models, and sample animations.
In-app purchases give access to more detailed 3D dental models and animations that explain physiology and common pathologies.
Best Medical Apps for Patients
Zocdoc is called “the start of a better health care journey” for people. In this app users can look for a tod-rated doctor in their area on-demand. The app allows users to make appointments, visit doctors, and video call them.
The app has an insurance checker and filter. Every insurance can be checked before the visit if the clinic accepts it or not. Also, a patient can look for a clinic that accepts certain kinds of insurances.
The app keeps track of a user’s annual check-ups and other health care needs.
3 features that make this app perfect for a user:
- find and book the best local doctors in two clicks,
- reviews based rating of doctors,
- insurance card scan to find doctors that match,
- online video call with a doctor.
Medisafe has grown from a small startup to a large In just a few years. The company has 5 million registered users worldwide, 250,000 app store reviews with an average 4.7/5 star rating, and over 2 billion doses managed through the platform.
The main idea was to create an easy-to-use, personalized technology that helps people manage their medications better.
Find a perfect match licensed therapist to identify your needs and chat with your personal doctor whenever you feel like. The therapist responds 2 times a day, if a patient feels that it’s not enough, there is an option of scheduling a video call.
The app owners made sure that the app will be affordable for different types of customers, and even for students. In-person therapy average cost is $150 for 1 session every week, Talkspace is a subscription service, monthly billing programs start at $65/week (charged monthly). All plans come with unlimited messaging. The app also offers therapy to 13-17 aged teens and special services for couples therapy.
Therapists can be changed or the subscription can be stopped at any time.